Sunday, January 30, 2011

Seasons In Life

I have been thinking about the seasons in life that we go through. I believe there are many and they are constantly changing just like the four seasons we experience each year. I do believe a season of life can be long or short and I also believe we can get stuck in a season or long for a past season that is full of fun and memories.

I find myself in a new season of life now. My oldest has left the nest and is attending college eight hours away in another state. To say she loves it is putting it mildly. She is growing and thriving and enjoying this season of her life. My son is loving his independence (he bought his sisters car before she left for college) and new found status as "only child". He will be leaving in just a couple of years as well.

For so much of my life I have given to others. Now don't misinterpret that. I have loved ever minute of giving time to my children, their school activities, projects, interests and what not. Insuring they had a strong foundation, love, support and safety net. But they no longer need me in ways they have in the past. What they need from me is changing. I am finding these changes freeing in a way I never have before.

I am reinventing rediscovering myself with the extra time I now have. I am discovering new interests, enjoying more time with my guy and in some ways being selfish with my time. I find myself often doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. I also find that I am spending more and more time with myself. I used to be such a social person. It seems someone was always over for tea, stamping scraping or dinner. These days I am enjoying the quite of my home and solitude. I thing this is a season a time to rediscover my interests and who I am or rather who I want to be. A friend once told me she likes to reinvent herself every seven years or so. Interesting thought. Maybe right now I am trying to reinvent myself in this new season of my life.

Off to have a cuppa and ponder it some more.

Mrs. Potts



No comments: